Friday, July 11, 2014

Frozen Green Tea with a funny after taste (Tim Horton's Davie Street Review)

It's scorching hot (well more like 28 degrees, but for Vancouverites, that's pretty hot), and I was downtown near St. Pauls' Hospital doing a research study. I wanted some caffine in my system because I was feeling tired (did two Grouse Grinds this morning).
  This Tim Horton's Location was famous for an incident that happened a while ago when someone smashed the windows, so I decided to check it out. The broken window was fixed and the Timmy's looked in any other Timmy's. There were a fair amount of chairs for people to sit at, and they had a freezer with Cold Stone's Ice Cream.
  I was at the counter and I noticed on the overhead menu that there was a new Frozen Macha/ Green Tea and that caught my attention. I was afraid of it being over sugary (because many of these frozen drinks usually have way too much sugar added to them), so I asked if the Green Tea had sugar added. The lady at the counter sort of smiled (abit awkwardly) and said it all comes as a syrup. I thought to myself, how bad can Green Tea be?
  When I got my frozen Green Tea, the sight of it immediately sort of raised a red flag. The colour was a bit on the alien light green colour and it didn't seem very appetizing. Part of it was when I saw the bubbles on top, it reminded me of when I was cleaning my fish tank at home that had a lot of algae on it... For Frozen Green Tea to have bubbles made it physically sketchy to look at.
   Since I paid $2 for it, I decided to not judge a book by its cover and take a sip. I have never tasted anything like this before. It was not sweet, but somewhat bitter. It wasn't the Macha kind of bitter (if you know what I mean with regards to how bitter pure Macha can be). It was a type of bitter that had a bit of a fruity taste to it. At the same time, it sort of tasted like the drink was trying to be sweet, but there was just not enough sugar to make it taste sweet. Mind you, I had a free Slurpee at 7-11 so my taste buds could have been a bit biased when it comes to sweetness. That said, It wasn't too good to be honest, and there was a funny after taste too.
   Afterwards when I got home, I decided to check the nutrition facts on the medium Frozen Macha and at a whopping 200 calories and 49 grams of sugar, it is definitely something that I will avoid in the future. Not only because it tastes funny, but because it's packed with tons of sugar.
Tim Hortons on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment